I love spelt flour and try to use it whenever it’s possible as a substitute for wheat. This bread is so easy than any beginner could bake it without much fuss.
570g whole spelt flour, plus extra for dusting or adding to dough if necessary
2 tsp dry yeast
2 tsp salt
400 ml warm water
1 tsp coconut sugar (or any other sugar you want)
Sesame seeds to sprinkle/garnish
1. In a big bowl, mix well flour, yeast and salt.
2. Add water and sugar. Mix.
3. Work on the dough over a flat flour-dusted surface for 5 minutes or until it doesn’t feel too sticky anymore. If needed, add a little bit more flour.
4. Pour dough into a greased loaf pan or a silicon one. Dust the top with some flour and cover with plastic wrap. Let sit/rise for 45 minutes inside the oven (turned off!).
5. Remove bread from the oven. Turn oven to 200°C.
6. Remove wrap and brush top with water and sprinkle sesame seeds over it.
7. When oven is heated, slide the bread in and bake for 35-45 minutes or until bread has a nice crust and a hollow sound when thumped on the bottom.
8. Let it cool over a rack before removing from pan.
Inspired by recipe Vollkorbrot mit Sesam from a book called “Das große Buch vom Brot”, The Big Baking Collection 3.