Saturday, June 20, 2015

Fast and Easy Gluten-free Vegan-friendly Bread + Vegan Test

This recipe allowed me to test different "eggs" in comparison to a real one. It will show you what I got for vegan versions available. I'll start with the "control" version, the one with a real, organic egg.

VERSION WITH ORGANIC EGG

Ingredients:

4 TBS gluten-free flour of your choice (I used 2 TBS wild millet flour and 2 TBS store-bought mix)
2 TBS Tapioca flour
2 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt (or less, I don’t like things too salty)
2 eggs OR vegan eggs*
2 TBS olive oil
2 TBS water
2 TBS maple syrup

*As for vegan eggs, I’ve tried with chia eggs, with store-bought powder and with flaxseed eggs. Baking time may vary. See notes below.

Pre-heat oven at 180°C. Beat egg in a medium bowl. Add all other ingredients. Mix
until well blended. Pour mix into a ~20 cm pre-greased baking pan or dish (I used a
round silicon one).

Bake for 20 minutes or until brownish. Baking time may vary depending on the flours
and egg substitute you use. Let cool on a rack before cutting. Yields two big slices.

NOTES:

I tried half recipe and it was too little for my silicon mold, it got really hard and didn’t
work. On the other hand, for a one quick slice half amount will work fine if done on a
frying pan over medium heat, pancake style.

Vegan versions don’t grow so much and seem to need more time in the oven.

Chia eggs version: I pre-ground the seeds. Needed to increase the water to 3 TBS and the dough was still much thicker than the version with normal eggs. Outcome had a sliced-bread consistency, I really enjoyed it! Baking time should be a couple minutes longer.


Flax seed egg version: I pre-ground the seeds. More or less the same consistency as the chia version, except I didn’t add more water. Baking time should be a couple minutes longer.


Store-bought vegan egg replacer: More or less the same as the flax seed. Baking time should be a couple minutes longer. The final outcome was a little more irregular and depending on the brand it can leave some aftertaste from the ingredients used.


So, my opinion? If you want to make a vegan version, I would stay with chia and flax. Egg replacers are a good option only when you can't grind the seeds (I always got better results when turning the seeds into flour before adding water to make the "egg").

Hope you enjoyed this post!

No comments:

Post a Comment